Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)



If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from where the product will be exported (or the area in which your office is located).

Animal Products

Live Animals

Korea - Summary of Requirements


Multiple animals may be recorded on one health certificate.



  • Equine - Import health requirement - February 2008 (pdf 40kb)

Informative Notes:

  • Korea will only accept horses from States that have been free from vesicular stomatitis for the last two years.
  • Equine piroplasmosis [Attachment 1 - Disease for Tests and Test Methods; page 5] has been revised by Korea to include ELISA or IFA (CF test is no longer acceptable). Korea uses the ELISA test during import testing

  • Equine semen - Health certificate (pdf 34kb)
  • Facility approval is required by Korean government



Note: As of December 20, 2014, Korea has banned the importation of all poultry and birds from the entire United States. SPF eggs remain eligible for entry.


  • Swine- Health Certificate - September 2014 (pdf 79kb)

Informative notes:

  • After arrival in the Republic of Korea, the swine will undergo a 15 day quarantine and novel influenza A (H1N1 and H3N2v) antigen testing.
  • The sample health certificate is required to be used.


Other Animals

Pets (Dogs/Cats)

Korea requires that pets (including military pets/dogs) be current on their rabies vaccine (given at least 30 days prior to arrival in Korea), have an ISO-compliant microchip, receive a rabies-neutralization antibody test (0.5 IU/ml or higher), and be accompanied by a valid health certificate including government endorsement.

If the rabies neutralization antibody test and the microchip implantation could not be done prior to shipping, they can be done after arrival in Korea. However, even in this case, a valid USDA endorsed health certificate is required. Additionally, for pets less than 90 days old no vaccination against rabies or rabies neutralization antibody test is needed but a valid endorsed health certificate is still required.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock or germplasm whose requirements are not listed in the IREGS, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Additional Information