Chronic wasting disease, prion diseases, deer, elk, water quality, environmental contamination, pesticide toxicology, endocrine disruption
Taxonomic Groups of Interest
Cervids (deer, elk, moose), Anurans (frogs)
Areas of Expertise
Chronic Wasting Disease, Molecular Biology, Molecular Toxicology, Environmental Toxicology
Products/Techniques Developed or Tested
Evaluation of protein misfolding cyclic amplification for use on water and tissue samples
Chronic wasting disease, environmental contamination, CWD prevention and therapies, CWD detection
Environmental toxicology, environmental contamination, endocrine disruption, Anuran decline
- Ph.D., Colorado State University, Cell and Molecular Biology, "Chronic wasting disease and water contamination"
- M.S., Colorado State University, Cell and Molecular Biology, "Toxicology of DACT, a metabolite of atrazine"
- M.A., University of Northern Colorado, Biology, Herpetology, "Effects of minute amounts of pesticides on tapole growth and development"
- B.S., Kennesaw State University, Biology, "Frog abundance of the greater Atlanta area, using calling surveys"
APHIS Science Fellow
- Post Doc., Colorado State University, Chronic Wasting Disease Research
- Graduate Research Assistant, Colorado State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Northern Colorado
- Head Veterinary Technician, Cat Clinic of Cobb, Marietta, Georgia
Fischer, J.W., G.E. Phillips, T.A. Nichols, and K.C. Vercauteren. 2013. Could avian scavengers translocate infectious prions to disease-free areas initiating new foci of chronic wasting disease? Prion 7(4): 263-266. Abstract.
Nichols T.A., T.R. Spraker, T.D. Rigg, C. Meyerett-Reid, C.Hoover, B. Michel, J. Bian, E. Hoover, T. Gidlewski, A. Balachandran, K. O'Rourke, G.C. Telling, R. Bowen, M.D. Zabel, and K.C.VerCauteren. 2013. Intranasal inoculation of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) with lyophilized Chronic Wasting Disease prion particulate complexed to montmorillonite clay. PLoS ONE 8(5): e62455. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0062455
Pilon, J.L., J.C. Rhyan, L.L. Wolfe, T.R. Davis, M.P. McCollum, K.I. O'Rourke, T. R. Spraker, K.C. VerCauteren, M. W. Miller, T. Gidlewski, T.A. Nichols, L.A. Miller, and P. Nol. 2013. Immunization with a synthetic peptide vaccine fails to protect mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) from chronic wasting disease. J Wildl Dis. 49(3):694-8.
Address: Wildlife Services, NWRC, 1401 LaPorte, Ave.,Fort Collins, CO, 80521
- Telephone: 970.266.6141
- Fax: 970.266.6157
- Email: Tracy.A.Nichols@aphis.usda.gov
- NWRC Research Area: Wildlife Disease