Early Publications of the
Bureau of Biological Survey
the beginning of the National Wildlife Research Center (NWRC), publications
have been an important part of the organizational mission. The main
functions of publications included education and activity reporting.
While some material was specifically for agency and field staff use,
much information was widely disseminated to the public. By the late
1920s, the editor of the Bureau of Biological Survey (BBS) publications
stated: "The function of the Biological Survey with regard to furnishing
information on the habits of wild animals is to present the facts unbiased
and without ‘nature faking’."
originally began in 1886 as the Division of Economic Ornithology and
Mammalogy within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The agency’s name changed first to the Division of Biological
Survey, next to the Bureau of Biological Survey, and then switched again
in 1940 as the agency became part of the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Despite a plethora of name alterations during its first sixty years,
the Bureau of Biological Survey continued to publish the same types
Extension and economic considerations were consistently a mandate for
the agency and early publications provided a means to educate and inform
the public. The BBS published specific types of material, which included
the Annual Reports and Circular Series, both begun
in 1886. In addition, BBS employees often wrote for USDA publications
such as the Farmers’ Bulletins, first distributed in
Take a look at early publications of the BBS and the USDA!
CAMERON, J. 1929. The Bureau of Biological Survey: its history,
activities and organizations. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press.