APHIS HomeAbout APHISNewsroomCareer OpportunitiesHelpContact Us
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size
USDA in Facebook APHIS in Twitter APHIS in Youtube APHIS Stakeholder Registry APHIS in Pictures APHIS in Blog APHIS RSS News Feeds

Browse by Subject
Animal Health
Animal Welfare
Emergency Preparedness and Response
Import and Export
International Services
Plant Health
Regulations and Assessments
APHIS User Fees
Wildlife Control and Management
Regulations and Assessments

International Animal Export Regulations



If you have any questions or concerns regarding these regulations for exporting animals or animal products to a foreign country, you should contact the APHIS-VS Area Office in the State from which the animals or products will be exported.

Japan - Summary of Requirements




  • Swine - Protocol - March 2012 (pdf 22kb)
  • Swine - Health Certificate - March 2012 (pdf 31kb)
  • Swine Semen - Health Certificate - March 2011 (pdf 34kb)


Dogs and Cats:


Note: As of April 11, 2014, Japan has banned the importation of all poultry and birds from the state of Maryland.

Note: As of April 22, 2014, Japan has banned the importation of all poultry and birds from the state of California.

Informative notes:

  • The following statement must appear on health certificates for live birds to Japan:
  • "The exported bird [or birds] has [or have] not been raised in any HPAI affected country for at least 90 days before shipment or since its [or their] hatching."

  • "Poultry" includes domestic fowl, ducks, turkeys, quail, geese, pheasant, and guinea fowl
  • Poultry/bird quarantine facility information: - (pdf 37kb)
  • Pallets must be sprayed and disinfected for poultry/ hatching eggs and day-old chicks for import and transit


Note: Japan has banned the importation of Prairie Dogs as of March 1, 2003

Other Animals

Additional information

Regarding Japan's requirements can be found here:


For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock or germplasm whose requirements are not listed in the IREGS, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.


Last Modified: July 24, 2014