APHIS HomeAbout APHISNewsroomCareer OpportunitiesHelpContact Us
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size
USDA in Facebook APHIS in Twitter APHIS in Youtube APHIS Stakeholder Registry APHIS in Pictures APHIS in Blog APHIS RSS News Feeds

Browse by Subject
Animal Health
Animal Welfare
Emergency Preparedness and Response
Import and Export
International Services
Plant Health
Regulations and Assessments
APHIS User Fees
Wildlife Control and Management
Regulations and Assessments

International Animal Export Regulations



If you have any questions or concerns regarding these regulations for exporting animals or animal products to a foreign country, you should contact the APHIS-VS Area Office in the State from which the animals or products will be exported.

Ecuador - Summary of Requirements

To be able to export animals, semen or embryos to Ecuador, an import permit must be obtained from the Ministry of Agriculture of Ecuador. This import permit must be presented to the Accredited Veterinarian and/or to the AVIC office in the corresponding State before starting the testing process of the animals.

Health certificates for animals, animal semen and animal embryos imported into Ecuador must be typed or done by a word processor.


Effective December 29, 2003, live cattle from the United States are banned due to a risk of BSE

  • Bovine Semen - Protocol and Health Certificate - April 2009 (pdf 49kb)
  • Bovine Embryo - Protocol and health Certificate- July 2013 (pdf 214kb)


  • Swine - May 2014 (pdf 55kb)

Avian Species

Ecuador has removed all restrictions for poultry from the United States.

Dogs and Cats

  • Dogs - August 2013 (pdf 13kb)
  • Cats - August 2013 (pdf 12kb)


  • Horses - January 2013 (pdf 52kb)
  • Horses - Returning after competition in USA - February 2013 (pdf 104kb)

Laboratory Animals

For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock or germplasm whose requirements are not listed in the IREGS, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.


Last Modified: June 12, 2014