Marketing and Regulatory Programs
May 14, 1997
SUBJECT: Delegation of Employee Relations Authority
TO: James R. Baker
Through: Phyllis B. York
This is to inform you of the delegations of employee relations authority I am hereby making within the Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA).
The enclosed chart has been put together with input from GIPSA management officials, and contains specific positions within GIPSA delegated authority to take Employee Relations actions (e.g., adverse and/or performance-based actions) against employees in career positions, GS-1 through GS-15 and equivalent wage grade positions. Authority for career SES positions is retained at the MRP Assistant Secretary's level. These delegations are part of the personnel authorities which were delegated from the Secretary to Agency Heads, and redelegated to the Director, Human Resources (HR), Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP).
EFFECTIVE DATE: This Delegation of Employee Relations Authority Chart is effective immediately.
REPLACEMENT: This enclosed chart replaces the FGIS and P&SA "Employee Relations Delegations of Authority" charts contained in the Supervisor's Desk Guide (SDG) 4752 on "Disciplinary or Alternative Actions." This chart will be incorporated into th e MRP HR Guide when revised. In the interim, the chart may be found as a ready reference on the HR Home Page under "Delegation of Employee Relations Authority."
LIMITATIONS: Actions taken under this delegation:
1) May not be exercised by an employee with respect to himself/herself, or with respect to an employee occupying a higher position in the chain of command;
2) Except for Caution or Warning memoranda, all other correspondence must be prepared and/or reviewed by the servicing Employee Relations Specialist (ERS) in order to ensure that regulatory requirements are met;
3) Individuals functioning in an acting capacity may exercise these authorities to the extent they are qualified;
4) Further redelegations must be requested by memorandum to the Director, HR, MRP; and
5) The Director, HR, MRP, may suspend a delegation on a case-by-case basis if circumstances so warrant.
INQUIRIES. Inquiries from supervisors and managers on taking disciplinary or performance-based actions should be directed to their servicing employee relations specialist by calling (301) 734-4414.
/s/ Larry T. Thackston
Larry T. Thackston, Director
Last Modified: December 13, 2007