Human Resources Division (HRD) - Benefits - Health Insurance
- Link to the Office of Personnel Management's FEHB web site http://www.opm.gov/insure/ for complete information on the Federal Employee's Health Benefits program, including current health plan information, the FEHB handbook, and frequently asked questions.
- Information about family members http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/eligibility/dependents.asp You will find information about who may be eligible for coverage under your health plan, including foster child/grandchild, child incapable of self-support, and court-ordered child coverage. Foster Child Certification (PDF).
- When can you make changes to your health plan enrollment? What are Qualifying Life Events? http://www.opm.gov/insure/lifeevents/index.asp
- What are your options for continuing your health insurance, and paying the premiums, when you go into Nonpay status? http://www.aphis.usda.gov/mrpbs/hr/benefits/fehb_options.shtml
- FEHB Premium Conversion Program http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/reference/premconversion/index.asp Federal employees use pre-tax dollars to pay health insurance premiums to the FEHB program under a premium conversion program. Premium conversion uses Federal tax rules to let employees deduct their share of health insurance premiums from their taxable income, thereby reducing their taxes. This plan is similar to one that has been available to employees in the private sector for many years.
- As of October 1, 2007, Federal employees who are enrolled in High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP) are able to make pre-tax allotments to Health Savings Accounts, using the National Finance Center's Employee Personal Page, Employee Self Service. Link to: https://www.nfc.usda.gov/ and click on the EPP icon. Employees are responsible for making sure the enrollment and contributions are in accordance with IRS rules and annual limits. For information on HSA, link to http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/hsa/index.asp
- Link to: The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program and Medicare http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/medicare/index.asp This website answers questions about how the FEHB program and Medicare work together to provide health benefits coverage to active or retired Federal employees covered by both programs. It explains what Medicare does and does not cover, who is eligible for Medicare, and how benefits are coordinated between Medicare and FEHB plans.
- Latest Health Care Reform Updates, please visit http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/reform/
- For a basic overview of the Affordable Care Act, please review the
Office of Personnel Management's Fast Facts (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
(For employees of USDA
Marketing and Regulatory Programs and the Merit Systems Protection