Marketing and Regulatory Programs
The Agency liaison is the APHIS employee who coordinates PIE activities with the partner school(s). This employee can be the sole individual at a small APHIS unit who is also the only volunteer from his/her office, or the person who is coordinating the efforts of several mentors/tutors in a larger APHIS Unit, in conjunction with the school liaison.
The Agency liaison is responsible to the official in charge of the APHIS office that has become a partner, as well as to the APHIS Partnership in Education Planning Team in headquarters. The Agency liaison is responsible for all documentation (volunteer participation forms, Memoranda of Understanding, etc.) that employees in their APHIS unit must provide in order to volunteer.
1. Work with the local schools, local community, and the headquarters-based Partnership in Education Planning Team establish partnerships.
2. Serve as a contact person between Agency volunteers and the school.
3. Coordinate planning, logistics, participation and attendance in activities such as Career Day, Science Fair(s), MLK Essay Contest, Ground Hog Shadow Day, and Dr. Seuss Rad-aloud Day with Agency volunteers and the school.
4. Assist in ensuring that on-going activities are effectively carried out.
5. Obtain approval and support for partnership activities from the responsible Agency official. Provide ongoing feedback and information regarding activities to the Partnership in Education Planning team.
1. Ability to commit to the partnership concept. Understand it will take a substantial amount of time and require a significant emotional commitment to implement and maintain a healthy partnership.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with students, the organization's staff, the school liaison, the Partnership in Education Planning Team, and the community.
3. Ability to be patient and able to view success through a long-term perspective and the capacity to follow through on projects. Be in it for the "long-haul," not just a few days a month or when things are going smoothly or are immediately rewarding.
The school liaison is a school employee or designated official who is responsible to the principal of the school in which he/she is working, and works with the APHIS liaison to run a successful program.
1. Serve as the contact person between the school and the APHIS office with which the partnership is established.
2. Provide a needs assessment for the students; work with the principal and APHIS office.
3. Coordinate all activities with the students, parents, appropriate staff in the school, and APHIS volunteer(s).
4. Provide information to the principal and obtain principal's approval for partnership activities.
5. Promote partnership concept in the school and in the community.
1. Regular school staff member.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with the school staff, the community and APHIS.
Last Modified: June 11, 2013