Pet Travel - Find an Accredited Veterinarian

Pet Travel - Find an Accredited Veterinarian

All veterinarians must be licensed or legally able to practice veterinary medicine in the state that they work.  In addition to a state veterinary license, many countries require the veterinarian who issues (completes and signs) the international health certificate to be USDA-accredited. 

You should contact your local veterinarian to see if he or she is currently USDA-accredited through the National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP). This is especially important when traveling to a country that requires an Accredited Veterinarian’s signature – because if they are not, you’ll need to find a veterinarian who is to complete your paperwork.

If you are traveling with a bird, make sure that your veterinarian has the appropriate accreditation status for completion of international health certificates for birds (Category II). 

Still need help finding an accredited vet?  Contact your local Veterinary Services NVAP Coordinator and include your Zip Code.


It is the responsibility of the pet owner to make sure their pet has met the requirements of the destination country.

♦ Failure to meet the requirements may result in problems gaining certificate endorsement or difficulties upon arrival in the destination country.

♦ Health certificates must be legible, accurate, and complete.
Complementary Content