A: If you are unable to find the answer to your question within the above documents or this FAQ website, you may e-mail your question to our help desk technical support at the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Our help desk technical support is available from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central Time, Monday - Friday (except government holidays). Please allow up to 24 hrs to receive a response.
You may also contact the agency representative identified within the vacancy announcement for the position in which you are interested.
Additionally, USAJOBS offers excellent tutorials on using the USAJOBS portal for storing your resume, searching for open positions, creating job search agents and much more. These tutorials may be accessed at the following website:
A: We will not accept resumes or any supporting documentation via e-mail. To apply for a position you must apply online and then upload and/or fax your supporting documentation following the vacancy specific instructions or mail your supporting documentation to the agency contact listed in the announcement.
A: USAJOBS positions close at midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement. After midnight, closed jobs will not be available for review or application.
A: If you are not registered with USAJOBS you may go to the following website, complete your initial user information, create at least one resume, and then apply to positions announced through USAJOBS.
1. To get started, at the USAJOBS website click [My Account] located near the top of the screen.
2. Click [Create an account].
3. Complete the user information and click [I agree, Create my account].
4. You will need to create a resume. Click [Build New Resume].
5. Follow the prompts to complete your resume. If you are unable to complete your resume at this time and need to return later, you may click [Save for Later].
6. Now you are ready to search for jobs If you are searching for a specific job, you may enter the announcement number or job title in "Keyword Search". Otherwise, fill in your search criteria and click [Search for Jobs].
7. Select the vacancy to which you wish to apply by clicking on the job title.
8. After carefully reading the announcement, begin the application process by clicking [Apply Online] located on the right side of the announcement.
9. Select the resume you would like to submit and click [Apply for this position now!]. USAJOBS will transfer you and your resume to our system where you will complete the application process.
10. Once you have been transferred, follow the on-screen prompts. Be certain to read the on-screen instructions thoroughly before continuing. You will be asked to review your contact information, complete the core Federal questions and optionally complete the demographic questions in our system.
11. You will then be taken to a page containing a list of supporting documents. You have the option to submit your documents by uploading them to the website, downloading them from USAJOBS or sending them in via fax. General guidelines concerning supporting documentation are discussed in the answer to the FAQ- What supporting documentation do I need to send in? (Please see the vacancy announcement for specific information regarding supporting documentation.) If you are faxing your documents, you do not need to complete the fax process prior to moving on to the next step. Click [Done] and you will be transferred to the vacancy specific questions.
12. Next, you will be asked to respond to questions specific to this vacancy. You must respond to all questions in order to save or proceed with the application process. If you would like to save your application and return later to finish the questions, see the FAQ - How can I save my application if I want to come back and finish it later?
13. There will be several screens of questions you will need to answer. Click [Next] at the bottom of each to move on.
14. The final step is to review your personal information, core questions, vacancy questions and resume for accuracy and completeness.
15. Once you are satisfied with your application click [Finished] located at the bottom of the web page to submit your application.
16. Upon submission of your application you will be redirected back to USAJOBS where you may view your application status, continue to browse for open positions and/or apply for additional positions. You may return at any time until midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement to update or make changes to your application.
If you have questions about your individual rating please submit your questions in writing via e-mail or USPS mail to the contact listed in the "Agency Contact" section of the announcement to which you are applying.
A: If you have already registered with USAJOBS, then you may apply using your existing user information. Again, you may go to the USAJOBS web site and log in.
1. To get started, click [Account] located near the top of the screen.
2. Enter your USAJOBS username and password. These fields are case sensitive, so be certain of the case you used when you registered. You can only register one time.
3. Update or create a new resume by clicking [Resumes].
4. If you are searching for a specific job, you may enter the announcement number or job title. Otherwise, you may fill in your search criteria and click [Search for Jobs].
5. Select the vacancy to which you want to apply by clicking on the job title.
6. Begin the application process by clicking [Apply Online] located on the right side of the announcement.
7. Select the resume you would like to submit and click [Apply for this position now!]. USAJOBS will transfer you and your resume to our system where you will complete the application process.
8. You may review/update your contact information and core Federal questions at this time or submit documents by selecting [My Account] or click [Apply to this Vacancy] to move to the vacancy specific questions. We recommend reviewing/updating your information on file each time you apply.
9. If you choose to review/update your information on file, follow the on screen prompts to move through this section. Once finished select [Apply to your Vacancy]. Complete the basic qualification questions and respond to the questions specific to the vacancy.
10. There will be several screens of questions you will need to answer. Click [Next] at the bottom of each to move on.
11. The final step is to review you personal information, core questions, vacancy questions and resume for accuracy and completeness.
12. Once you are satisfied with your application click on the [Finished] button located at the bottom of the web page to submit your application.
13. Once you have submitted your application you will be redirected back to USAJOBS where you may view your application status, continue to browse for open positions and/or apply for additional positions. You may return at any time until midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement to update or make changes to your application.
If you have questions about your individual rating please submit your questions in writing via e-mail or USPS mail to the contact listed in the Agency Contact section of the announcement to which you are applying.
A. Applicants who cannot apply on-line must request a hard copy application packet from the Agency Contact listed in the vacancy announcement. Resumes and/or supporting documentation alone will not be considered without the inclusion of a hard copy application packet.
A: In order to save your application and return to finish answering the questions later, you must place answers in all of the vacancy specific questions. Our announcements require answers to all questions prior to saving your application. Therefore, we recommend you select an answer for all questions and type one or two words in the text boxes for the long and short answer questions. These answers do not have to be your final answers. Once you reach the end of the questions, having filled something in for all questions, you will be allowed to save your application. For information on returning to edit your question responses, see the answer to the FAQ - What if I want to change or update my answers to the vacancy questions?.
A: Individuals in the competitive service who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must apply for positions at or below the grade level from which they are (or may be) separated that do not have more promotion potential. They must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if they meet the qualification requirements for the position; possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities which clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements for the position; and able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry.
Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605 (a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible.
A: You may view jobs openings by visiting the USAJOBS website. The USAJOBS website contains a listing for all Federal agencies.
A. You may check to see if your application has been received by checking your vacancy status at the USAJOBS website. Simply login to USAJOBS and click [Application Status]. You will then be able to view a list of all positions to which you have applied. Your application status should read "Resume Received". If you application status reads "Application Status Available" please refer to the FAQ - When I login to My USAJOBS and my application status states "Application Status Not Available", shouldn't it state "Resume Received?"
A: You will be prompted to select one of your stored resumes after clicking [Apply Online] in the vacancy announcement. USAJOBS will submit your resume for the position once you have selected the resume and clicked on "Apply for this position now!" Just prior to clicking the final "Finished" button in the application process, you will see a review of your complete application package, excluding faxed supporting documentation. Review your resume at this time; this is your submitted resume. You may choose to edit your resume at anytime before the vacancy closes. For more information on editing your resume refer to the FAQ - How do I input or edit my resume in USAJOBS? At midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the vacancy, our online application system will lock all your submitted information. This includes your vacancy specific questions, user information, core Federal questions, and your resume. This is your submitted application package.
A: Yes. Upon completion of your application, return to USAJOBS and check your application status to make certain your status has changed and indicates "Resume Received " with a link to "more information." The status of "Application Status Not Available" indicates you may not have completed all steps in the application process. If your status indicates "Application Status Not Available" and the announcement is still open, follow these instructions:
1. In the Application Status section of USAJOBS, click on the title of the position.
2. the right side of the vacancy announcement, click [Apply Online].
3. Re-select the resume you are using to apply to this position and click [Apply for this position now]. You will be transferred to your previously completed answers in our system.
4. [Edit Your Application]. NOTE: If you would like to review/update your contact information or your responses to the Federal core questions, or if you wish to view your supporting documents, select [My Account].
5. Click [Next] to move through your previously completed answers.
6. You have now arrived at the final page of the application process. Review all of the information you are submitting with the exception of supporting documentation. At the bottom of the web page, click [Finished]. Our system will now return you to USAJOBS.
A: You may change or update your answers to the vacancy questions anytime before midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
Go to the USAJOBS website and click [My Account] at the top of the page and log-in to your account.
You may then access your responses in one of two ways. Your first option is going to back into the vacancy as though you were applying to it again for the first time. You will need to bring up the vacancy announcement, click [Apply Online] and resubmit your resume which replaces the resume that was previously sent. You will then be transferred to the USDA automated system. Once you arrive, you will have the option to [Edit Your Application].
You may also access your responses via the USAJOBS application status. If your status reads “Resume Received” with a more information link, you may click “more information.” This will transfer you to the USDA automated system. Once you locate the appropriate position, click the “more details” link under Application Status. Click “review and update” your answers.