Horse Protection Program Listening Sessions
The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's (APHIS) Animal Care Program will hold listening sessions throughout the United States to obtain public feedback on the Horse Protection Program.
In particular, APHIS is interested in hearing feedback on the questions below:
- Congress passed the Horse Protection Act in 1970 to eliminate the cruel and inhumane practice of soring horses. How close are we to achieving the goal?
- Can the industry achieve a consensus on how to carry out a self-regulatory program to enforce the Horse Protection Act in a consistent way?
- What responsibilities should USDA-certified Horse Industry Organizations (HIOs) have within the industry?
- How can the industry reconcile its inherent competition aspect with ensuring compliance with the Horse Protection Act?
- What can USDA do now (and in the future) to ensure compliance?
- What responsibilities should USDA have within the industry with respect to enforcement and what hinders oversight of the HIOs and/or industry?
- Should there be a prohibition of all action devices?
- Should there be a prohibition of pads?
- Currently the Horse Protection regulations have a shoe weight limit on yearlings. Should there now be a shoe weight limit for all aged horses?
The listening sessions are planned for the following dates and locations:
- March 7 - 9am to 1pm
5800 High Point Drive
Irving, TX 75038
- March 8 - 9am to 1pm
University Plaza Hotel
333 John Q Hammons Parkway
Springfield, MO 65806
- March 15 - 9am to 1pm
Kentucky Horse Park (South Theatre)
4089 Iron Works Parkway
Lexington, KY 40511
- March 22 - 9am to 1pm
Doubletree Ontario Airport
222 N. Vineyard Avenue
Ontario, CA 91764
- March 23 - 9am to 1pm
Phoenix Inn Suites
3410 Spicer Road SE
Albany, OR 97322
- March 27 - 9am to 1pm
Renaissance Asheville Hotel
31 Woodfin Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- March 29 - 9am to 1pm
Mississippi State University
College of Forest Resources/Forest and Wildlife Research Center
Department of Forest Products Facilities
100 Blackjack Road
Starkville, MS 39759
- April 4 - 9am to 1pm
Doubletree Murfreesboro Hotel
1850 Old Fort Parkway
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
- April 10 - 9am to 1pm
USDA APHIS Headquarters
4700 River Road
Riverdale, MD 20737
Speakers will be limited to 5 minutes in order to ensure everyone registered will have the opportunity to have their comments heard. If you have written comments, you may leave them
with the USDA officials at the session.
We look forward to your comments in order to ensure the success of the USDA APHIS Horse Protection Program. If you have any questions, you may contact USDA-APHIS-Animal Care at 301-851-3751 or
Emails responding to questions for the listening sessions:
Further information is also available at: www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/hp/
Feb 27, 2013