Requirements to Apply for Initial Veterinary Accreditation
- Complete the Initial Accreditation Training (IAT). Documentation indicating your completion of IAT will be required for admission to the Core Orientation Program.
- Attend a Core Orientation program.
- Complete a State specific Orientation if required by the Area Veterinarian in Charge (AVIC) in cooperation with the State Animal Health Official (SAHO).
- Graduate with a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree from a College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Be licensed or legally able to practice veterinary medicine in the State in which you are applying.
- Submit an original completed VS Form 1-36A to the Area Office of the State in which you want to become authorized to perform accredited duties. The application must be submitted within three (3) years of completion of Orientation; otherwise you will be required to take Orientation again. Please read the instructions thoroughly before completing this form leaving Block 8 blank as your National Accreditation Number (NAN) will be issued once you are accredited. This form is available by calling the Area Office or though this Website. By completing the application, you are certifying that you are able to perform the tasks associated with the Category selected. These tasks can be found in the regulations under CFR 160-162 (regulations).
- The AVIC and SAHO will review and evaluate the application. If the application is approved, an accreditation letter will be sent authorizing the veterinarian to perform accreditation work in that State.
(NOTE: The veterinarian may not perform any accreditation duties until written approval by the AVIC is received)
If you have any questions about applying for accreditation for the first time, please contact your local Area Office.
State Veterinary Regulatory Boards