Biosecurity Basics: Look for Signs of Disease
Know the warning signs of bird diseases such as avian influenza (AI) or "bird flu" and exotic Newcastle disease or END. While it may be hard to tell if your bird has one of these diseases, if you know the signs, you may be able to tell if something is wrong. Early detection can help prevent the spread of disease.
- Sudden increase in bird deaths in your flock.
- Sneezing, gasping for air, coughing, and/or runny nose
- Watery and green diarrhea
- Lack of energy and poor appetite
- Drop in egg production or soft- or thin-shelled, misshapen eggs
- Swelling around the eyes, neck, and head
- Purple discoloration of the wattles, combs, and legs (AI)
- Tremors, drooping wings, circling, twisting of the head and neck, or lack of movement ( END)
Early detection is important to prevent the spread of disease. If you suspect your birds may have AI or END, donít wait - report it!