Scrapie Disease Information
Flock Status Definitions and Enrollment Information
Requirements of the Scrapie Flock Certification Program are: record
keeping, permanent identification, periodic inspections, and tissue
submissions from suspect animals. For enrollment information or if
you have questions regarding the USDA scrapie program, please contact
your local USDA Area Office.
- A complete monitored category flock that has been participating in the Scrapie Flock Certification Program and has met the program requirements for 5 years or more.
- A complete monitored or export monitored category flock that has been participating in the Scrapie Flock Certification Program but has not yet met the criteria for certified status.
- Enrollment Date
- The date on which the State Scrapie Certification Board received a complete application including an acceptable inspection report that was subsequently approved for initial Scrapie Flock Certification Program participation.
- Export Certified
- An export monitored category flock that has been participating in the export monitored category and has met the program requirements for 7 years or more.
- Flock that has had one positive scrapie animal diagnosed within the flock or that lambed in the flock.
- Noncompliant flock
- (1) Any source or infected flock whose owner declines to enter into a flock plan or post-exposure management and monitoring plan (PEMMP) agreement within 60 days of being so designated, or whose owner is not in compliance with either agreement;
- (2) Any exposed flock under investigation whose owner fails to make animals available for testing within 60 days of notification, or as mutually agreed, or whose owner fails to submit required postmortem samples as directed in the PEMMP;
- (3) Any flock whose owner has misrepresented, or who employs a person who has misrepresented, the scrapie status of an animal or any other information on a certificate, permit, owner statement, or other official document within the last 5 years; or
- (4) Any flock whose owner or manager has moved, or who employs a person who has moved, an animal in violation of 9 CFR, part 79 within the last 5 years.
- A flock that has applied for entry into the Scrapie Flock Certification Program (SFCP).
- A flock that is enrolled in the Selective Monitored category of the Scrapie Flock Certification Program.
- Flock where one or more infected animals were born, if diagnosed at less than 72 months of age.
- Scrapie Flock Certification Program status suspended while a downgrade to a lower status is being considered.
- The starting date from which an enrolled flock (complete monitored or export monitored) has continuously met all Scrapie Flock Certification Program standards (usually the enrollment date).
For more information on scrapie or the eradication program contact the designated scrapie epidemiologist in your state.
For additional assistance you may contact Diane