VS Careers Program
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) is looking for:
- Veterinarians; and
- Animal Health Technicians for selected positions.
APHIS Veterinarians and Animal Health Technicians carry out duties which protect the health of America's domestic animal population from foreign and/or contagious diseases.
Our Veterinarians work in a variety of settings in performance of their duties, such as:
- field inspection of flocks and herds;
- interacting with producers and vendors;
- conducting computerized surveillance of animal health and disease outbreaks;
- dealing with import and export issues; and
- planning animal health programs at regional or headquarters locations.
Applicants for the position of Veterinarian must be a graduate of an approved School of Veterinary Medicine.
Our Animal Health Technicians perform duties which may include:
- collection of specimens;
- appraisal and disposal of diseased animals; and
- disinfection for the control and eradication of infectious and communicable animal diseases.
Applicants for the position of Animal Health Technician can click here to find examples of qualifying specialized experience.
Some positions may be subject to unscheduled overnight details of undetermined lengths in the event of animal health emergencies or other conditions requiring immediate response, as required by the Agency. The duties of this position may include euthanasia of animals and carcass disposal in controlling animal disease outbreaks. Extensive travel may also be required.
In order to apply, you should know that:
- you must be a U.S. citizen;
- this is full-time employment (40 hours per week);
- you will receive pay for all Federal holidays;
- you will earn 13 vacation days and 13 sick days to start;
- health insurance, life insurance, and retirement benefits are offered.
- There are no vacancies at the present time.
VS Headquarters Diversity Recruitment Video
You can read the VS Careers Program brochure in its entirety, in the printable version in pdf format. (pdf 327kb)
For information on other vacancies, please visit the job opportunities page.