National Center for Animal Health Emergency Management (NCAHEM)
The National Center for Animal Health Emergency Management (NCAHEM), located in Riverdale, Maryland, develops strategies and policies for effective incident management, and coordinates incident responses. They also plan and coordinate delivery of training that will ensure personnel are ready for emergency response work.
In the event of an animal disease emergency, the NCAHEM role is to:
- Provide safety emphasis and leadership;
- Provide national guidance on disease surveillance and eradication strategy;
- Support the acquisition of resources;
- Resolve administrative, financial, legal, legislative, and disease control issues; and
- Coordinate and disseminate information.